Nail polish remover aka ‘your best friend in a crisis’ is just that…until it becomes the crisis. When spilled on carpet it can be harsher than other common stains. Most nail varnish removers contain acetone – a colourless, flammable liquid. This chemical has a bleaching quality, which can ruin your carpet if left on it for too long. So, like any stain we always advise acting quickly, and even more so with nail polish remover. If you’ve no clue where to begin with the clean up – don’t panic, it may smell worse than it actually is.
Below is Renew’s step-by-step by guide to removing nail polish remover from your carpet.
How to clean up after a nail polish remover spill on carpet
- Mix together one tablespoon of washing-up liquid with two cups of warm water.
- Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent solution.
- Blot until the liquid is absorbed, taking care not to scrub the stain.
- Continue until the stain disappears.
- Sponge with cold water and blot dry with a clean towel.
Nail polish removers that contain acetone can leave a particularly strong smell, that can linger even after the stain looks to have been removed. Below, we have listed some easy and cost effective ways to help illuminate these odours.
How to get rid of the smell of nail polish remover from carpet
- Place baking soda into a bowl and leave it on a high shelf in the room. Baking soda is great for absorbing odours and doesn’t need to be changed daily.
- Leave a small container of cat litter in the room (random, but stick with us). Cat litter is super absorbent and will remove any bad odour that’s lingering.
- If you have neither a cat or a love of baking, then this last tip may be the one for you. Coffee! Put some fresh ground coffee into a glass bowl and stir daily. This will not only help absorb the smell of the nail polish remover, but will make your home smell, well homely, and or, like a quaint café.
Renew carpet cleaning is Ireland’s number one carpet cleaning company. We not only remove stubborn stains, but we also leave your carpets looking and smelling fresh! Contact us today to book your carpet cleaning, or you can check out our website for more quick and easy stain removal tips.