As a nation of tea drinkers , regular tea spills are inevitable in every homes. Whether it’s a Hansel & Gretel tea trail from the kitchen to the couch, or a full cup completely up ended – an unsightly brown tea stain can seem a real pain to get rid of, especially on light coloured carpet. However, help is at hand! Below is Renew’s quick and easy guide to removing a tea stain from carpet.
For best results be sure to get to work on the stain straight away!
How to clean up after a tea spill on carpet
- Use kitchen roll or a clean towel to blot up as much liquid as possible.
- Pour a small amount of cold water on the stain to dilute the tea, blot again until no more liquid is transferred.
- Mix together 2 ounces of white vinegar to 4 ounces of warm water. Test this cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area of carpet first.
- Using a clean cloth and the above cleaning solution, rub the area working inwards so as not to spread the stain.
- Continue until the stain is gone.
How to remove the smell of vinegar after cleaning
If the smell of vinegar lingers after you’ve finished cleaning up the tea stain, then follow the simple steps below
- Blot up any excess liquid left after the stain removing process.
- Sprinkle baking soda onto the area and leave for 1- 2 hrs (This will help absorb the odour)
- Vacuum the area.
- Repeat the above steps if necessary, until the odour has completely gone.
Renew Carpet Cleaning remove all types of tough stains. We recommend having your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year to maintain a clean and healthy home. After cleaning we use a protective treatment that acts a barrier against future staining (good news for tea lovers!) Contact Renew today to book your carpet cleaning, or to find more about the cleaning services we provide.