Ink stains are one of those notorious carpet stains that nobody wants to meet. Whether it’s a leaky biro or an accident doing homework, an ink stain can be more stressful than a fifth class maths problem. And, a close second to your child whining, ‘That’s not how my teacher does it.’
There are two types of inks – water based and non-water based.
Water based inks such as highlighters and magic markers are considered temporary, as they can be dissolved in water. These are pretty straight forward to remove.
Non-water based inks such as standard ink pens and permanent markers are not soluble in water and are usually considered permanent. These can still be successfully removed from carpet, they just need a little extra work.
Ballpoint pens can be either of the above, depending on the type.
How to clean up a non-permanent ink stain on carpet
- Blot up as much of the ink stain as possible using a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Mix together washing up liquid and lukewarm water and use to dab the stain.
- Continue until the stain has gone.
- Rinse with water to rid any soapy residue.
How to clean up a permanent ink stain on carpet
- Use a clean towel or paper towel to blot up as much excess ink as you can. Be sure not rub, as this will work the stain further down into the carpet.
- Moisten the ink stain with a rubbing alcohol such as surgical spirits.
- Using a clean white towel, carefully dab the area. (You will see the ink transfer onto the towel) Use a clean piece of towel each time, until the stain has gone.
- Mix a few drops of detergent with warm water to remove any mess afterwards.
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water and allow to air dry.
Did you know hairspray and salt (not together) can remove ink stains?
Simply spray the ink stain with hairspray, use luke warm water to dab the area. Rinse afterwards.
Using salt, pour salt over the stain (if it’s dried in, wet the area first) leave overnight and vacuum the next day. Rinse afterwards to remove any salt residue.
Some stains, however, need professional help. Renew Carpet Cleaning can successfully remove all types of stains from carpet. Contact us today to book your carpet cleaning, and check out our website for more easy stain removal tips!