If you’re researching how to clean up vomit from carpet…then things are tough enough without complicated instructions or witty intros. So, we’ll get straight to the point. Below is Renew’s quick and easy guide to removing vomit from carpet.
How to clean up vomit from carpet
Use disposable gloves if possible, and for best results try to tackle the stain straight away.
- Remove any solids from the stain.
- If the vomit has hardened use some cold water to loosen the stain.
- Mix together some laundry detergent with water. Clean the area using a scrubbing brush or cloth / sponge. Continue until the stain is gone.
- Use cold water to remove any soapy residue from the carpet.
- Remove any excess liquid with a clean towel or paper towel.
Cleaning vomit from carpet is usually straight forward, unless the person who vomited had been drinking say, red wine (see how to remove red wine from carpet) It’s the smell of vomit that can seem daunting to get rid of.
How to get rid of the smell of vomit from carpet
- Mix together some baking soda and water to form a paste consistency.
- Apply a thin layer of paste to the area and use a brush (even an old toothbrush) to work it into the carpet.
- Leave to set (may need to be left overnight) and when the paste has hardened, scrape up as much as you can with a blunt knife.
- Vacuum up any remaining residue and the smell should come away with it.
If you don’t have baking soda, vinegar is also effective in removing the smell of vomit from carpet.
- Mix two parts water to one part vinegar.
- Rub the solution into the area with a sponge or cloth.
- Don’t panic if the smell of vinegar seems to be lingering just as much as the vomit smell, they both will go away together.
- Leave the solution for 1-2 hrs to work into the area.
- Use a clean towel to soak up as much of the residue as possible
Renew Carpet Cleaning are experts at removing all types of stains – we’ve seen them all! If you need help removing a tough stain or you want your carpets professionally cleaned – Contact us today. To find out about all our cleaning services or for more easy stain removal tips, check out our website.