A red wine spill on carpet is one of the most dreaded stains. Whether you’re relaxing with a glass after a hard day or using your living room as a dance floor, red wine spills can easily happen. As red wine is so pigmented you need to act quickly for best results. If your party is still in full swing, simply blot up as much of the wine as you can with kitchen roll or a clean cloth, you’ll be glad of the head start when it comes to tackling it later on.
Below is our easy step-by-step guide to removing red wine from carpet.
How to clean up after a red wine spill on carpet
- Use a clean white towel or kitchen roll to blot away as much excess wine as possible.
- Add a few drops of cold water to the stain to help dilute it, and keep blotting.
- Mix together 2 cups of warm water, 1 tbsp of white vinegar and 1 tbsp of washing up liquid.
- Apply the solution directly onto the stain using a clean cloth.
- Blot until the stain is removed completely.
How to clean up after a red wine spill on carpet – after it has dried in
- Wet the stain with cold water.
- Apply a generous amount of salt to the area, this will help absorb the liquid along with the wine pigment.
- Leave the salt overnight. It will have turned a pinkish colour by morning where it has absorbed the wine colouring.
- Simply, vacuum up the salt.
- This method usually works extremely well, however, if there is still remnants of the stain then you may need to use a stain remover. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
Cream or white carpet will obviously need some extra TLC when it comes to removing a red wine stain. Below is our guide to removing red wine from these lush carpets.
How to clean up after a red wine spill on cream / white carpet
- Mix a small amount of washing up liquid with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide (Caution: this solution will discolour dark / coloured carpets)
- Use a cloth soaked in the solution to gently dab the area. Be sure to use a clean section of cloth each time.
- Leave the mixture to sit on the stain for a few minutes to help break down the pigment.
- Mix a small amount of washing up liquid and cold water, use a clean cloth to gently blot the stain.
- Blot dry with a towel.
- Use another cloth to dab the stain with cold water, and dry the area again with a towel.
Know when to admit defeat…
If you’re still not satisfied with the results, then it’s time to call the professionals. Renew carpet cleaning are experts at removing all types of tough stains, such as red wine, ink and chewing gum. Call us today to book your appointment. Be sure to check out our website for more great stain removal tips!